Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Whistle While You Work

As if you haven't heard me say it enough, I love my job. It is such a huge blessing to work with my geriatric patient, and I think I am way more blessed by them than they could ever be blessed by me. Last Thursday, the rehab department put on a fundraiser in order to raise money to help provide funds for residents who don't have any money to be able to go on outings out of the facility. Some of the residents there don't have family nearby, or don't have money so they are unable to go out to events like lunch at Cracker Barrel or to the movies. We wanted everyone who is able to leave the facility to be able to go out on an outing and money not be an issue, so we had a nacho lunch back in the rehab gym in order to help.
One of my favorite parts about getting to work so early in the morning (by 7:00) is that I get to see beautiful sunrises!

Yummy nachos!
As the only member of the rehab team with a Sam's membership and living near a Sam's Club, I got all the nacho yumminess. The fundraiser was a huge success! We enlisted several patient's help in serving the nachos, taking orders, collecting money, and adding up how much money we had (a great real life cognition activity!). They had so much fun, and so did we! It was a great break from normal routine. The fundraiser greatly exceeded our expectations, and we were able to raise over $250 dollars to help take residents out of the facility on fun outings! One of the biggest surprises of the day is when my recruiter, Amy, called me and said that Advanced Medical wanted to help and would be sending my facility a check put towards the fundraiser. I am so blessed to work for such an awesome company- they not only care about their employees but also care about the people their employees are serving. Even though I am not a permanent employee at this facility (my contract is up at the end on the month!!) I love knowing that after I'm gone, my patients will be able to get out of the facility and do something fun.
In other news, I can't believe that my contract is up at the end of the month! It has gone by so fast, and I can't believe that we have been here for almost 4 months already. While I am excited for our new adventure in California, it will definitely be difficult leaving behind all my patients and coworkers from Kerrville. 
I didn't have a weekend update post this week because I worked all weekend (waa-waa), so we really didn't do much except watch football, which don't get me wrong is awesome! All three of my teams won- Baylor, Arkansas, and Texas, so it was a good weekend for me, although I did want to punch every person who told me that they hoped I had a nice long weekend.
Since I worked this weekend and all week, I was able to get this Friday off, so are going going down to Houston to hang out before we move to Cali. I have to do one more sweep through all our stuff to see what will make the final cut to travel with us. Unfortunately my sewing machine has to go back to mom and dad's house :( Macie will probably have to make some cuts too!
Tomorrow is hump day! Since my department at my facility reached our productivity goal, the company is  providing us with lunch tomorrow- I am probably more excited than I should be about my lobster ravioli! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. We are happy to be able to contribute to such a wonderful cause! Melissa, you are touching so many lives in your travel experience. I am so proud to have you on my team. I can't say that enough. We are blessed to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete