Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sic Em Bears!

This weekend was amazing. It was our last weekend in San Antonio and Texas before we move to California. Since we don't know when we will be back, we decided to go to a Baylor football game. Waco is about three hours from San Antonio, so on Friday night we decided to drive half way and spend the night in Austin. We went to my absolute favorite restaurant, the Hula Hut, on Lake Austin. It is right on the water and has a beautiful view. It had rained earlier that day and it was pretty slow there, so we were able to sit down right away, and at a table over the water. The food is awesome- I got my usual shrimp quesadilla which was amazing.


We enjoyed our margaritas on the lake!
The view from our table
Texas state capital at night

On Saturday morning, we met some friends at 24 diner in Austin. It was delicious and great to catch up with friends before we move!



After breakfast, we headed the rest of the way to Waco. Timing ended up being perfect. We arrived in time to walk around campus a little bit and go to the bookstore where we were able to stock up on Baylor gear! I was finally able to find a hat that I liked, and got a license plate holder, t shirt, and v neck shirt.

I forgot that I walked over my favorite verse on the way to the parking garage!
Good times in NoRo 245, my freshman dorm! 
 We also got to hang out with the Baylor bears, Joy and Lady!
 Good old Neil Morris, home of the communication disorders department and where I spent most of my time at Baylor
Hanging out on the Baylor love swings! They have these swings in trees all over campus

Traditional Baylor picture with Judge Baylor, with Pat Neff Hall in the background

After shopping at the bookstore (and waiting in the longest line ever) we headed over to the stadium. We parked on campus and rode one of the free shuttles over to Floyd Casey. This is the last year Baylor will play there because they are opening the new stadium on campus next year. 
 Our seats were in the top corner, which actually ended up working out pretty nice because we could see everything and if you stood on the top row of the stadium you got a breeze. The game was so much fun and it was great being back at my alma mader. Baylor's football team is insane, and scored 35 points in the first quarter! We were getting thirsty so I said after Baylor scored I would go get us water. Baylor scored, I went down, got cash from the ATM and then came back up to our seats and in that amount of time Baylor had already scored again. Crazy. The one thing neither one of us thought about was sunscreen. So both of us got pretty burned. It was so frustrating because we could feel ourselves burning and could do nothing about it. I finally wrapped some paper around my feet, held one over my face, and some over my legs to try to prevent more burning. Braden said I looked pretty ridiculous but I think it helped.



 This is the Baylor president, Ken Star, running and leading the Baylor Line, which is all the freshmen who run the length of the field then make a human tunnel for the football team to run through. It is a lot of fun!
 The band made Dory during their halftime show!
The beautiful Waco skyline from the stadium

After the game, we were able to meet my college roommate Charissa at one of my favorite restaurants in Waco, Food for Thought. Their pizza is amazing and it was even better than I remember.


On the way home, we were sunburned and tired, but got to see this gorgeous sunset!



In other news, we are moving in t-minus 2 days! Bright and early Saturday morning. We are busy packing and downloading music and audiobooks for the drive. I checled the weather for LA once we get there and this is the weather report:
It's ok to be jealous! We can't wait. San Antonio has been great, but we are ready for our new adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! My name is Kara and I am a current grad student studying occupational therapy. I am considering the prospect of working as a travel OT when I graduate, and have some questions for you! My email is karaaabbot@yahoo.com. If you don't mind, I would love if you could email!

    Thank you!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, I am Melissa's recruiter. Give me a call after you and Melissa connect. I would love to work with you in the future! 800-330-7711 ext 244

      Delete
    2. Hey Kara! I tried to email you, but your email wouldn't work. Feel free to shoot me an email at melissajoyejones@gmail.com. Traveling therapy has been a great experience for me, and I love getting to share with other therapists! :) I'm looking forward to answering your questions! (I tried to respond to this last night, but I guess it didn't work! Sorry about that)

      Delete