It's hard to believe that we have been in San Antonio for 3 weeks already! Time flies when you're having fun. After we moved, I mentioned that packing when we were moving was really difficult because we could either throw it away/get rid of it, take it with us, or put it in storage for an indefinite amount of time (see my previous post, Wandering Nomads). Since they didn't teach me how to predict the future in grad school, I had to do my best at guessing the things we would want/need. Now that we've been here for a little bit, I have identified some things that I was pretty smart to bring with us, and some things that leave me scratching my head going "really, I thought I needed [fill in the blank]?!"
Smart:
1) A few kitchen items- I brought with us a 3Q pan, cookie sheets, and some spatulas/spoons. Since I used them all the time, I thought I would want them, and I was right. We use these almost every day. The things they stock you with at a long term hotel just don't completely cut it in this department.
2) Magic Bullet-for those of you who use blenders a lot, this is a really great option because it is really compact and it is AWESOME.
3) Eye mask- Those hotel curtains don't cut out all the light and I'm a light sleeper
4) Our dog- I seriously love having little Mace with us. She is great company! Since she is small, She and her things don't take up much room. I got a small storage container and all her toys and sweaters fit in there
5) Tide PODS- These little beauties are clutch for doing laundry, and there's no chance of spilling. Also, laundry bags have been an awesome help doing laundry, and don't take up a lot of room in a car like a basket or hamper would
6) Things that make it feel like home- One of the things I'm really glad I thought to bring along were a few things that make me feel like I'm home. Obviously Braden was a no brainer, but I also brought along a few pictures to put around the room, and also magnets with a few pictures to go on our refrigerator. I t really does make the room feel less like a hotel and more like a mini-home.
Not-So-Smart:
1) My entire wardrobe- apparently I thought I was going to be going to lots of fancy parties while we were traveling! While I am appreciating having a lot of clothing options on the weekend, I really didn't need to bring every formal dress I own. This goes for shoes too. What was I thinking?
2) Every single bathroom/toiletry item that I have ever owned, ever- This was probably one of the hardest areas to plan to pack for, because I have a lot of extra toiletry items, like those little Clinique samples I get with the free gifts, that I will eventually use, and didn't want to get rid of, but didn't necessary need to take with us, but they wouldn't store....I seriously should have given more away. Our bathroom looks a little like a testing lab.
3) Our entire liquor cabinet- don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to make our favorite drinks, but we should have trimmed it down a little bit more, three containers worth really takes up a lot of room in the car!
4) Storing the printer- we seriously should have brought the printer. On the bright side, I now have a new printer!
We had a great weekend this weekend. Pictures from SeaWorld coming soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment