Since we are on the road, it's hard to be healthy. It's something we have been trying to figure out since we started traveling, and it's still a work in progress. Here are some of the things I (we) have done to help us live better:
6) Get a gym membership (and actually use it!)
We have had memberships at several different gyms. Find one that fits with what you're wanting to do, and join. Usually even the more premium gyms (such as Lifetime or LA Fitness) will have short term memberships that they can set up for you. A gym that has weight equipment and cardio equipment is what we want, so we have found that basic gyms like Snap Fitness and Anytime Fitness fit our needs really well. It's really awesome being married to a personal trainer so Braden plans all my workouts for me. Even at smaller gyms they have programs that can get you started with a trainer if you don't know where to start. Even if I don't feel like going, I always feel better after I work out!
5) Chia Seeds
My favorite comment that I've gotten about my chia seeds is "are you drinking salad dressing?" A nurse I worked with got me started on them about a year ago, and I've been addicted ever since. They have all sorts of great stuff in them like antioxidants, omega 3's, protein, fiber, etc. You can put them in drinks, smoothies, yogurt, and salads, and they are a great healthy snack! When put in liquid, they form a gel and taste like what you put them in. I usually put them in a bottle of Vitamin Water, let soak for at least 30 minutes, then enjoy!
4) Take care of your skin
I am obsessive with my three step system twice a day. I love my Clinique! It has made a huge difference in my skin and I have used it for years. I am also obsessed with my Clarisonic. Don't forget to moisturize your neck!
3) Hydrate!
Drinking lots of water during the day has helped my body function better. I have never been a big fan of water- it's boring! But as I have been forcing myself to drink more, I find myself liking it more and more. I have also been playing with infused waters- the night before I will cut up different combinations of fruits and put them in my Nalgene, in the morning I have naturally flavored water that tastes really good, plus has the added benefit of the nutrients from the fruit. I've also been trying to cut out all artificial sweeteners, so that means less soda. I have found a natural soda that is made with stevia that satisfies the soda craving.
2) Eat Well
I think this means something different to everyone. There are so many different diets out there- Paleo, gluten free, Atkins, South Beach, I could keep going! When we started traveling, we were eating a lot of box and frozen meals because they are easy and convenient. Also with living in a hotel, we don't have a lot of storage space, cooking utensils, and may or may not have an oven. When we were in Houston, we discovered a company called My Fit Foods. They prepare fresh, proportioned meals that are made in store that you can keep in your fridge for up to a week. Pop in the microwave for two minutes and you have a yummy meal! The first meal I had I thought "really, this is it?!" But learned quickly that that amount was all I really needed. Having healthy easy meals to go gave us an idea to continue with the My Fit Foods idea of small healthy meals, and now we are making our own pre made meals. Usually we have a serving of meat and some fresh vegetables. Braden cooks the meat early in the week and then we slowly eat it through the week. We don't follow a "diet" per say, but have been trying to eat less processed and more fresh foods. It has really made a difference! Find what works for you!
1) THRIVE
THRIVE has been a game changer for me. For months I was struggling with exhaustion and always feeling tired, and I've had insomnia issues for years. In May, I met another SLP who told me about THRIVE and how it helped her sleep and have more energy. I was pretty skeptical, but at that point I was willing to try anything. I had tried just about everything to help my energy and sleeping issues trying to avoid prescription medications and was just about at the end of my rope. I was back to drinking caffeinated sodas again to make it through the days. Ever since I started taking THRIVE, I have had energy! After drinking sodas consistently just to make it, I don't feel like I need to drink them to get through the day, now I just have a soda if I feel like it. I don't have a "2 o'clock feeling" anymore, and I don't feel like I am dragging through my day (even when I was working for 10+ hours!). When I get home I'm ready to go to the gym instead of being too tired to work out. After about a week of taking THRIVE, I started sleeping through the night. I had gotten to the point where if I wanted a decent nights sleep I had to take Tylenol PM. Now, I am not waking up in the middle of the night anymore and waking up more refreshed in the mornings. I've been taking THRIVE for about a month now, and can't believe the difference that it's made for me!
Like I said, being healthy is a work in progress! We definitely aren't perfect and enjoy eating out on the weekends. I am really proud of how far we've come since we started traveling, and feel so much better! I never thought I would say this, but I guess you could say we are health nuts now.
(If THRIVE sounds like something you might want to try, click here for more info, or ask me!)
No comments:
Post a Comment